Saturday, January 12, 2008

Facebook addicted

Just to add a post in regards to Facebook. Initially a website that I do not understand to a point of marvel engineering of software and web.

I got introduced to Facebook by (if) and that was by accident. They needed people to add so I put my name and my ugliest mugshot in town (deleted already). When I went to the home screen, the horror that I thought of so many different things that are happening. 20 vampire bites, 30 shot kills, 50 pies thrown, and many more. I closed it without a second thought, thinking OMG I'm that old and people younger than me are finally using a system which I cannot comprehend ( as a software techie couple of years ago and a software developer now, it hurts when you see little kids use software or something on the web that you don't understand T_T).

So then my friend Harvey introduced this game of Triumph, which basically is a military game which launches different armies of infantry, tanks and jets together. Seeing that most of my friends (if not all) are in facebook already, I have to give it a shot. To go into the unknown that I feared and got bested the most.

After trying to filter the endless trudges of what is needed and what is all stuff of fancy, I finally found out that you install Applications to your Facebook. This by itself I believe is probably one if not the only one thing genius about it. It's like your computer is on the website and you install applications, genius. After that, I installed Triumph and started playing. And then I recognise the marvel of the software engineering that is Facebook.

This brings me back to those days when computers didn't have colour, and everything that you want to use wasn't point and click. It was typing on a screen and hopefully it'll run the game that you wanted. You put in a 5.25" piece of magnetic strip covered in disk into the drive and hope it runs your 4-16 color game, and you hope that you didn't bend it if not you wasted your money. And in those days, computers were horrendously expensive. It's a luxury item that you buy, like a VAIO today or even worse, a VAIO small PC (the small handheld one, last I heard it's 10k now).

As the rate of things evolve, I would like to thank the developers of it all. True, the hardware does provide the forefront of engineering and provides the platform in which we develop, but without the software that encompasses that technology, the hardware will not be famous.

So cheerios to all you nerds out there, and let us code the nation for the better :)

No comments: